Mountain Bike Trails

Discussions relating to North and Central Florida.
(ie. Gainesville, Tallahassee, and surrounding areas)

Moderator: josh wickham

Chad Richey
Gemini
Gemini

Mountain Bike Trails

Post by Chad Richey »

Any good trails to ride around Gainesville?. I just ordered a decent dual suspension bike and want to find somewhere good to go riding.

Anyone have any suggestions?
cramela
Gemini
Gemini

Post by cramela »

San Felasco is the best in this area. It is just north of Gainesville and a little south of Alachua. You turn left at the Progress center on 441 if you are heading north. It is just past a vegetable stand to the right that has a mannequin rigged up to wave at cars as they pass. The trails are mostly easy to ride but there are many to choose from. the trails are uncrowded if you have the ability to go early on a weekday and you see a nice variety of wildlife. The weekends and late afternoons are a different story though.
tech44
newskool
newskool

Post by tech44 »

There's a ton of local trails that you can link together for as many miles as you want. PM me your email and I can give you more info.
Chad Richey
Gemini
Gemini

Post by Chad Richey »

cramela wrote:San Felasco is the best in this area. It is just north of Gainesville and a little south of Alachua. You turn left at the Progress center on 441 if you are heading north. It is just past a vegetable stand to the right that has a mannequin rigged up to wave at cars as they pass. The trails are mostly easy to ride but there are many to choose from. the trails are uncrowded if you have the ability to go early on a weekday and you see a nice variety of wildlife. The weekends and late afternoons are a different story though.
Thanks! This is actually right by my house and never knew it.
josh wickham
Florida Gator

Post by josh wickham »

cramela wrote:San Felasco is the best in this area. It is just north of Gainesville and a little south of Alachua. You turn left at the Progress center on 441 if you are heading north. It is just past a vegetable stand to the right that has a mannequin rigged up to wave at cars as they pass. The trails are mostly easy to ride but there are many to choose from. the trails are uncrowded if you have the ability to go early on a weekday and you see a nice variety of wildlife. The weekends and late afternoons are a different story though.

^^^ yup. Thats probably only 15-20 minutes from your house too.

Pay attention to your N.S.E.W. If you're out there by yourself its easy to get lost (happend to me one time...was lost for about 2-3 hours and was out of water...Fing sucked)

-Josh
tech44
newskool
newskool

Post by tech44 »

Yeah San Felasco is good. I did the tour out there again this year...it was f'ing freezin'. The rock trail is a decent loop too. Out west of 75 on Newberry. We should organize the enation group ride :lol:
Double Y Chrome
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Double Y Chrome »

tech44 wrote:Yeah San Felasco is good. I did the tour out there again this year...it was f'ing freezin'. The rock trail is a decent loop too. Out west of 75 on Newberry. We should organize the enation group ride :lol:
I'd borrow a 4-wheeler
dandmantra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dandmantra »

I'll be on a dirtbike. lol
Thanks for all the shoes.
tech44
newskool
newskool

Post by tech44 »

We'd lose both of you at the first bridge :lol:
charon
Groupie
Groupie

Post by charon »

There are a lot. I go sometimes, if you want someone to go with, please pm me.

There are trails starting behind the cabana beach bus stop on 20th and 62nd blvd, they loop around, follow the path along I75, then go under the highway and loop around.

There's also a path from behind calico jacks that goes all the way through a park behind the neighborhood across from the movie theater that leads all the way to the mall.

There are the sweet walmart trails that are hard to describe, lead to trails with cool homemade bridges.

Trails from 16th ave and williston that lead to SE15th and the gville-hawthorne trail.

Small trails lead around Biven's lake

And much more. Ask if you want.
Chad Richey
Gemini
Gemini

Post by Chad Richey »

cool thanks. I might hit you up sometime
josh wickham
Florida Gator

Post by josh wickham »

charon wrote:There are a lot. I go sometimes, if you want someone to go with, please pm me.

There are trails starting behind the cabana beach bus stop on 20th and 62nd blvd, they loop around, follow the path along I75, then go under the highway and loop around.

There's also a path from behind calico jacks that goes all the way through a park behind the neighborhood across from the movie theater that leads all the way to the mall.

There are the sweet walmart trails that are hard to describe, lead to trails with cool homemade bridges.

Trails from 16th ave and williston that lead to SE15th and the gville-hawthorne trail.

Jesus thats alot!

Have you checked out those trails behind Lowe's on 13th street? There are some nasty little trails through there with NARROW bridges I wouldn't dare go across (10-15 feet drop into creek. I think the guy's from Mr. Goodbike made the bridges). Thats where I face planted into a tree stump about 1-2 years ago. Its a little sandy and awkward to ride but fun.
Boyd Westerman
Grand Master Dinosaur

Post by Boyd Westerman »

josh wickham wrote:
charon wrote:There are a lot. I go sometimes, if you want someone to go with, please pm me.

Jesus thats alot!

Have you checked out those trails behind Lowe's on 13th street? There are some nasty little trails through there with NARROW bridges I wouldn't dare go across (10-15 feet drop into creek. I think the guy's from Mr. Goodbike made the bridges). Thats where I face planted into a tree stump about 1-2 years ago. Its a little sandy and awkward to ride but fun.
back in the day I'd do the loop starting at 8th ave, past CJs, behind the mall up to 62nd through that loop, then down Archer to where the paintball place is and back. there are some fun single track back there.

then there's the secret ranger trail that starts by La Chua and goes along the rim.

I don't know the ones behind Lows, but those sound fun.
¡¡¡ǝpnp 43 ʎ1uo ɯ,ı
shek e
newskool
newskool

Post by shek e »

I just got home from San Felasco about 15 minutes ago, I rode the C-Creek Loop. I got all the way around the back-end (about four miles) and found out it was completely flooded out. Nice riding though.

Don't forget about Santos down in Ocala, top notch trails with some super technical rides.

http://omba.org/

-Shek
josh wickham
Florida Gator

Post by josh wickham »

Santos in Ocala is the shit. Come to think about it thats the only cool thing in Ocala (and its probably not even in the city limits...hah).

I'm kidding I'm kidding...

I always see tire tracks leading off the side of what looks like a cliff when I'm at Santos. I wouldn't try to climb down this shit and some of these fuckers drop into it on their bikes. Fing insane. I've never actually seen anybody ride down some of the nasty drops there but you can tell people do it. I'd like to go out there to watch a comp. or something.

I busted my knee cap up Baaaad out there bunny hopping over a small sink-hole.

Santos is the best riding in the area if you're looking for something hardcore. Its about a 45 minute drive from Gvegas.