Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Discussions relating to North and Central Florida.
(ie. Gainesville, Tallahassee, and surrounding areas)

Moderator: josh wickham

childers
newskool
newskool

Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Post by childers »

Citing health reasons, Urban Meyer has stepped down from his position as University of Florida football coach, the university said in a statement Saturday evening.

Florida's head coach Urban Meyer will coach his last game with the Gators in the New Year's Day Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati.
Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida the university said in a statement Saturday evening.
.“I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program,” said 45-year-old Meyer. “I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.”

Meyer's last game with the Gators will be on New Year's Day vs. Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl.

Meyer's teams won two national Championships in his five years at Florida (2006 and 2008) and two SEC titles, in 2006 and 2008. He has a 54-4 (.931) record at home in his career, including a 32-2 (.941) in The Swamp.
sblude
Groupie
Groupie

Post by sblude »

Wow! Tebow crying after the Alabama loss and now Meyer quitting. The Gators are really looking like sore losers. Did that loss hurt him so much it affected his health? Man! Talk about taking it way too seriously. It's just a game.
Myles Hie
newskool
newskool

Post by Myles Hie »

sblude wrote:Wow! Tebow crying after the Alabama loss and now Meyer quitting. The Gators are really looking like sore losers. Did that loss hurt him so much it affected his health? Man! Talk about taking it way too seriously. It's just a game.
He has had health issues for a few years now you fucking douchebag.
Double Y Chrome
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Double Y Chrome »

N YO FACE :!:
Brian---H
newskool
newskool

Post by Brian---H »

yeah, he's not leaving. :P
childers
newskool
newskool

Post by childers »

...ok....I'm not trying to start shit here. Just some things I heard brought up today by a local sports talk radio show.

.....As gator fans do guys really think Meyer can change his style of coaching ?....like he says put family,god, and football in that oder. Which is great for him to realize there is a problem and attempt to make those changes in his life to improve his health. In my opinion if he changes the things that made him the one of the top 3 coache's in the nation than he is short changing the gatornation.

....Like Tebow said when Meyer decieded to step down he applauded Meyer for being so unselfish and addressing the things that are important in his life besides football........I understand why he was reluctant to leave such a program like UF,but his reasoning for returning is a bit selfish if he truly does have a serious health problem.....and after hearing the 911 call after the SEC championship today it sounds like he needs to step away from coaching for quite awhile.

....From what I hear from the local gator "insiders" on tv and radio is that UF was set to announce Stoops as the new coach after the sugar bowl. This most likely the deceiding factor in Meyer returning,and his love for the program like he said. So if Meyer reinvents himself,which I don't see happening from now to the start of the season. He then comes back at 70% of the fire and passion he once had,now is that fair to the university,fans and it's player's? When the school could have had Bob Stoops.
Double Y Chrome
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Double Y Chrome »

childers wrote:...ok....I'm not trying to start shit here. Just some things I heard brought up today by a local sports talk radio show.

.....As gator fans do guys really think Meyer can change his style of coaching ?....like he says put family,god, and football in that oder. Which is great for him to realize there is a problem and attempt to make those changes in his life to improve his health. In my opinion if he changes the things that made him the one of the top 3 coache's in the nation than he is short changing the gatornation.

....Like Tebow said when Meyer decieded to step down he applauded Meyer for being so unselfish and addressing the things that are important in his life besides football........I understand why he was reluctant to leave such a program like UF,but his reasoning for returning is a bit selfish if he truly does have a serious health problem.....and after hearing the 911 call after the SEC championship today it sounds like he needs to step away from coaching for quite awhile.

....From what I hear from the local gator "insiders" on tv and radio is that UF was set to announce Stoops as the new coach after the sugar bowl. This most likely the deceiding factor in Meyer returning,and his love for the program like he said. So if Meyer reinvents himself,which I don't see happening from now to the start of the season. He then comes back at 70% of the fire and passion he once had,now is that fair to the university,fans and it's player's? When the school could have had Bob Stoops.
great words from a losing team...what game did your team play? the Enation Bowl?
childers
newskool
newskool

Post by childers »

....dude I was simply posing the question to gator nation on what you guys opinion might be regarding Meyer's future dedication to the program. I guess you wanna talk shit....cool....for the record UGA played in the quite prestigous Independence bowl......LOL. Won 44-20 over Texas A & M.
Boyd Westerman
Grand Master Dinosaur

Post by Boyd Westerman »

Where did you hear this about Stoops?
¡¡¡ǝpnp 43 ʎ1uo ɯ,ı
sblude
Groupie
Groupie

Post by sblude »

I just have to say it was funny as hell to see Tebow crying after the loss to Alabama and now Meyer having all these problems. No, I don't wish any harm on Meyer and wish him the best for his health but the drama surrounding Tebow was SO over the top. Engraving his "Pledge" was absolutely ridiculous. And now the drama continues with Meyer in limbo...get over it Gator nation. You weren't the best this year and we'll see if Cincinatti hands it to you again. Just hope Meyer doesn't have a stroke if they lose. LOL
tech44
newskool
newskool

RE:

Post by tech44 »

sblude wrote:I just have to say it was funny as hell to see Tebow crying after the loss to Alabama and now Meyer having all these problems. No, I don't wish any harm on Meyer and wish him the best for his health but the drama surrounding Tebow was SO over the top. Engraving his "Pledge" was absolutely ridiculous. And now the drama continues with Meyer in limbo...get over it Gator nation. You weren't the best this year and we'll see if Cincinatti hands it to you again. Just hope Meyer doesn't have a stroke if they lose. LOL
It's so easy to be a hater. You don't have to do shit. You don't have to have any respect or integrity, or sense of reality. Just sit back laugh at other people's misery, regardless of who they are or any accomplishments they have. Just wait for them to fuck up and BAM you got a new hobby... something to really hold on to. Ah ain't life wonderful?
Ray Fenn
newskool
newskool

Post by Ray Fenn »

sblude wrote:I just have to say it was funny as hell to see Tebow crying after the loss to Alabama and now Meyer having all these problems. No, I don't wish any harm on Meyer and wish him the best for his health but the drama surrounding Tebow was SO over the top. Engraving his "Pledge" was absolutely ridiculous. And now the drama continues with Meyer in limbo...get over it Gator nation. You weren't the best this year and we'll see if Cincinatti hands it to you again. Just hope Meyer doesn't have a stroke if they lose. LOL

lol. what a little whiny girl. gator bait!
Myles Hie
newskool
newskool

Post by Myles Hie »

childers wrote:...ok....I'm not trying to start shit here. Just some things I heard brought up today by a local sports talk radio show.

Great questions, but tbh, its all speculation at this point, but i don't Bob will be coming back to UF.

I would rather let coach do his thing then have him come back and drop dead on teh sidelines.

imo, i think Coach Meyer should step down and lets move the ship full steam ahead. If he wants to come back in a year or so we can revist the situation, but part of a succesfull collage program is the ability to change personal and keep it moving forward as best as possible.
Myles Hie
newskool
newskool

Post by Myles Hie »

:roll:
Tim_jarrell
newskool
newskool

Post by Tim_jarrell »

This Is my take on the Urban Meyer situation.

I think Urban is going to be fine. He’s got a heart condition. That's what I've heard from some of UF boosters. It isn’t life threatening but if he let it go on, it could develop into something serious. Better to handle it now than later. I think he will use the time away to rest up and re-invent himself as a coach. Remember this --- the greatest coach of all time (Bear Bryant) re-invented himself at least five times during his career and with each re-invention, Bryant got better as a coach and in the way he handled his players without sacrificing winning. Urban Meyer is a very smart guy and I believe he knew before this situation happened that at some point in his career he would either have to change the way he does things or get out of the profession altogether. He’s decided to stay in coaching and the Florida Gators are going to be the beneficiary. Watch in the next few weeks as he helps solidify another incredible recruiting class --- it WILL happen, folks --- and then he’ll get his health in order. When he returns, I don’t think we’ll see a dip in the results but I do believe we’ll see a new and improved Urban Meyer.
God must be a Gator fan, cause he made the Sky Blue and the Sun Orange.