Moderator: allmightyone420

Jason_Arclo
Banned

Good Vs Evil or Evolution??

Post by Jason_Arclo »

An Exert From "Gospel.com"

Movies Built on Evil Messages
May 28th, 2010

AvatarHow do you react to movies whose messages are contrary to Christianity?

I got to thinking about this after watching a recent video clip from Marc Driscoll in which he says that Avatar is the most Satanic movie he’s ever seen (Driscoll’s video is below). His main point is that Avatar’s worldview is diametrically opposed to the Christian worldview:

James Cameron (the writer and director of Avatar) was clearly trying to make a pantheistic point about our own world. The closest thing to Christianity Avatar exhibits is a sort of messiah-figure in the main character, Jake.

I’d rather not debate the merits of Avatar, but it does provide a good starting point for a discussion of anti-Christian philosophies and worldviews in movies. Like it or not, Avatar isn’t the only movie that stands in opposition to the basic tenants of Christianity. In fact, the majority motion pictures—even the one’s without trashy content like nudity, crude humor or excessive violence—produced these days contain elements or messages that are decidedly unChristian.

What about you? Do you see a spiritual problem with watching movies that contradict Christian beliefs?

Today’s Devotional: Obedience in the absence of authority
May 28th, 2010

After Jesus ascended into heaven, the disciples had a choice: they could either return to their old ways or continue on the path that Jesus set before them. It was like leaving a kid at home for the first time: would they honor what they had been told, or immediately start bending and breaking the rules?

This devotional from Words of Hope points out that as followers of Christ we are to faithfully obey Jesus’ teachings even in his absence:

Christ has ascended and is no longer physically with us. We cannot see him. We cannot hear his words or feel his comforting touch. It would easy enough for us to tell ourselves that we have many years left on earth and that we should “relax, eat, drink, be merry” (Luke 12:19). But his followers still obey out of faith. They know that there are reasons Jesus tells them to do certain things that go beyond immediate perception or instant satisfaction.

Faith gets followers looking up, not around. Faith finds in the ascension obedience, not excuses.

Do you find it hard to stay obedient when you know no one is watching?

Smokey: I kinda of saw it as the blue pill to the matrix....
Last edited by Jason_Arclo on Jun 2 2010 07:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sew In Tears, Reap In Cheers
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

Jesus hung out with shady characters & prolly woulda watched some seedy movies with them. i doubt he would have felt either tempted or threatened by the imagery. but why Avatar? lets start with some of the other Cameron gems...like Point Break...and Piranha 2: The Spawning :lol:
Jason_Arclo
Banned

Post by Jason_Arclo »

I've only seen Point Break out of the three you mentioned.

To elaborate on the topic, I'd say that some movies are just too ridiculous, that's why there rated R.
Sew In Tears, Reap In Cheers