Seperate forum for Science & Global Climate discussions?

Are you on the left? on the right? Red White and Blue?
Just Independent?

ARE you in favor for a forum on Science & Global Climate discussions??? So we don't congest other forums....

YES!!! I give a turd about this Planet I vote YES on amendment 420!!!...for a Science & Global Climate discussion forum!
41%
NO!!! I don't give a Amoeba turd about this Planet, I want us all to choke & die on C0 2 and greenhouse gases! I Vote no on amendmant 420!!! I suck at life! Who cares if the Reptilians eat my baby lol!
59%

Total votes: 17

Jenn M

Post by Jenn M »

soundsystem75 wrote:
JennM wrote:HEY JOEY ARE YOU THE MODERATOR HERE? I DON'T SEE DAN TELLING US TO STOP! SCIENCE AND POLITICS RUN HAND IN HAND THAT'S WHY STEM CELL RESEARCH WAS HALTED STUPID!
Stem Cell Research hasn't been halted? :scratch:

JennM wrote:QUIT HATING AND, GET A LIFE OR GET A CLUE, YOU KNOW THAT SONG YOUR SO VAIN! YEAH THAT ONE LOL, I BET YOU THINK THAT SONG IS ABOUT YOU!
MAKES YOU IGNORANT... unquote. Your words.
Here is proof of science and politics in the same realm..... The Bush Administartion halted it, they were against it!... Obama has initiated it, allowing us to go further into research, uses, and finding cures. Sounds like science and politics to me right?...

I'm just making a point that Science and Politics run hand in hand! No argument there. Those that believe that it is not true must be ignorant.

You are only as smart as your weakest brain cell, and your brain only functions as strong as the weakest brain cell. You kill all the weakest brain cells first.... So I will stop dealing with people who haven't killed enough brain cells...
soundsystem75
newskool
newskool

Post by soundsystem75 »

The Bush Administartion halted it,
untrue.
Jenn M

Post by Jenn M »

True or untrue... its still points that science and politics are hand in hand... Stop trying to dissect everything I say...

you must be a republican
Jenn M

Post by Jenn M »

Proof in the pudding I know what Im talking about! Dammit!

For years, US progress has been crippled by restrictions introduced in August 2001 by president George W Bush, preventing federally funded researchers from working on all but a few sources of embryonic stem cells - the cells from embryos with huge medical potential for repairing organs and tissues.

Now, those restrictions will be among the first of Bush's executive orders to be swept away, probably within the next 100 days. The news emerged on Sunday from an interview on Fox News featuring John Podesta, the head of Obama's "transition team", which is managing the switch to power.

The executive orders that restrict the stem-cell lines could be withdrawn unilaterally by Obama, he said.

"There's a lot that the president can do using his executive authority without waiting for congressional action, and I think we'll see the president do that," said Podesta, a former chief of staff to President Bill Clinton. In 2003 Podesta founded the Center for American Progress - a think-tank embodying many of Obama's stated ideals for transforming the US.

The aim is to quickly dismantle the legacies of the Bush era that Obama sees as holding back progress, particularly those motivated by ideology or religion.

Bush's resistance to stem-cell research, for example, is a concession to evangelical conservatives who oppose all research on embryos. "I think across the board, on stem-cell research, on a number of areas, you see the Bush administration even today moving aggressively to do things that I think are probably not in the interest of the country," said Podesta.

8O
pez
newskool
newskool

Post by pez »

Jenn M wrote:For years, US progress has been crippled by restrictions introduced in August 2001 by president George W Bush, preventing federally funded researchers from working on all but a few sources of embryonic stem cells
You should re-read this. Bush did not stop or halt research on embryonic stem cells. What he DID do was stop FEDERALLY FUNDED research. Meaning tax payer money could not be used for the research, however it does not stop private funded research. Heres just one article from 2005 in a quick google search. http://www.reason.com/news/show/34102.html

Or another about the industry in 2006, from forbes with this quote:
Lost in the news of Bush's veto of stem cell bill was the fate of a separate bill sponsored by Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) and Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) to encourage the National Institutes of Health to fund research of stem cells that are not embryonic. The Santorum/Specter bill passed the Senate but did not get the two-thirds vote needed in the House on Tuesday.
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/0 ... mcell.html
Larz
Vestax
Vestax

Post by Larz »

pez wrote:
Jenn M wrote:For years, US progress has been crippled by restrictions introduced in August 2001 by president George W Bush, preventing federally funded researchers from working on all but a few sources of embryonic stem cells
You should re-read this. Bush did not stop or halt research on embryonic stem cells. What he DID do was stop FEDERALLY FUNDED research. Meaning tax payer money could not be used for the research, however it does not stop private funded research. Heres just one article from 2005 in a quick google search. http://www.reason.com/news/show/34102.html

Or another about the industry in 2006, from forbes with this quote:
Lost in the news of Bush's veto of stem cell bill was the fate of a separate bill sponsored by Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) and Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) to encourage the National Institutes of Health to fund research of stem cells that are not embryonic. The Santorum/Specter bill passed the Senate but did not get the two-thirds vote needed in the House on Tuesday.
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/0 ... mcell.html
She's not going to understand that Pez. And yes, the private sector will to a better, faster and more concise job of researching and development of stem cell research then the government can, plus the tax payers won't have to foot the bill. It's a win-win.
Joey G
newskool
newskool

Post by Joey G »

You are only as smart as your weakest brain cell, and your brain only functions as strong as the weakest brain cell. You kill all the weakest brain cells first.... So I will stop dealing with people who haven't killed enough brain cells...
Holy Shit!! we found our first tard on the board. wait maybe not, I remember a few others that where borderline short bus material.

All shit aside
Larz is correct, the private sector will do better quality research at much faster rate. They also do the research with a more responsible budget. It is a win /win. Stem cell research has never stopped.
Last edited by Joey G on Jan 21 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Boyd Westerman
Grand Master Dinosaur

Post by Boyd Westerman »

I'm not so sure about that. There's tons of small companies, university researchers, and the like of that who rely on federal funds to carry out their work. If you take a look at the publicly traded companies out there who do stem cell work they aren't of the large cap sort, they are very cash strapped. And think of all the federal money that goes into other medical research. I don't see it as a win-win.
Capt-Sue
Vestax
Vestax

Post by Capt-Sue »

Jenn M wrote:
Joey G wrote:
WELL NOW THAT THE ELECTION IS OVER WE SHOULD HAVE A GLOBAL DISCUSSION FORUM!
Politics does not start and stop with elections Jenn. You should try using the general forums for your science fiction short stories.
HEY JOEY ARE YOU THE MODERATOR HERE? I DON'T SEE DAN TELLING US TO STOP! SCIENCE AND POLITICS RUN HAND IN HAND THAT'S WHY STEM CELL RESEARCH WAS HALTED STUPID!

QUIT HATING AND, GET A LIFE OR GET A CLUE, YOU KNOW THAT SONG YOUR SO VAIN! YEAH THAT ONE LOL, I BET YOU THINK THAT SONG IS ABOUT YOU! :lol:

AND FOR YOU TO SAY THEY ARE FICTION MAKES YOU IGNORANT WHEN ALL THE INFO IS IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE! I CANT WAIT TILL YOU GO THRU SOME OF THIS SHIT WE WILL FACE! YOU'LL THINK TWICE THEN!

ALL YOU DO IS TRY T GET A RISE OUT OF ME, AND YOU ARE LIKE THE DEVIL YOU MASK THE TRUTH FROM OTHERS...YOUR SO LAME!
you silly jenn :lol:
kevin m
newskool
newskool

Post by kevin m »

You know I got love for you Jenn, but speaking of losing brain cells... My God, there's no telling how many I lost just trying to translate what you were saying. I'm baffled by this.

Oh and Sue, :lol: :lol: There are underground cities w/ aliens living in them, huh? :lol: :lol:
beNT_up
newskool
newskool

Post by beNT_up »

The earth has not got any warmer since 98. This summer was mild. Gore pushes the global warming because of the money he has invested. Follow the money.
"titty fucking christ, the term PLUR makes me want to hurl a brick at the face of the person that utters it."
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

sun spots... //end thread...
* R.I.P. Dan "I'm not the man" D'Mantra - not a day goes by that I don't think about you, I miss you man!
Boyd Westerman
Grand Master Dinosaur

Post by Boyd Westerman »

Its been a friggin annoying fall so far. Damn el Nino. I'm ready for some cold weather.
¡¡¡ǝpnp 43 ʎ1uo ɯ,ı
Larz
Vestax
Vestax

Post by Larz »

This shit is too funny.
Hadron Collider 'Being Sabotaged from the Future'
Apparently the terminnator is comming back from the future, to save us from oursleves...........where is Sarah Conners when you need her?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568528,00.html
pez
newskool
newskool

Post by pez »

Larz wrote:This shit is too funny.
Hadron Collider 'Being Sabotaged from the Future'
Apparently the terminnator is comming back from the future, to save us from oursleves...........where is Sarah Conners when you need her?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568528,00.html
Thats great.. and oddly enough makes sense based on the few things i have read about Quatum Physics. However it is extermely funny. Also sort of reminds me of the book Children of the Mind (final book of the Ender's Game series).