FSOB featured in Prefix Magazine WMC Story

W M C - Events, meet ups, rides, feelings, thoughts. How parties were, what you're going to... ...
The_Head
Gemini
Gemini

FSOB featured in Prefix Magazine WMC Story

Post by The_Head »

Prefix Magazine

Winter Music Conference 2007

By : Norman Mayers

In that often dreary lag time between the December holidays and the summer, the Winter Music Conference is an oasis. This annual event takes place in sunny Miami for one week in March, and anyone who is anyone in electronic dance music is there. The conference began more than two decades ago as a way for the community to discuss the goings on in the industry, but where there are deejays, there are parties.

These days, the festival is almost too big to comprehend -- the entire dance-music community descends upon Miami for a few days of hedonistic insanity. Every deejay, producer, publicist, magazine, journalist, photographer, or fan with any sort of interest in electronica will make the journey, in effect turning Miami into the world's biggest rave, a massive festival with hundreds of events -- poolside parties, yacht parties, all-day raves, penthouse events, sunrise soirees -- throughout the week. And these are not your ordinary parties. The most recognizable deejays, promoters, and labels from around the world are in town giving the people the best dance music around.

After almost a decade of attending this marathon of mindless fun, I have perfected the balance of work and fun, interviewing artists during the day and dancing all night. Here is a brief look at the events that rocked my world (or at least the ones I can remember) during my sun-drenched week in Miami this year.

Bring on the Beats

This killer pool party at the South Seas Hotel is everything Miami is all about: lots of fake breasts and booming bass in the perfect setting to enjoy both. DJ Brazen and crew provided an impressive lineup of major breaks talent that included DJ Icey, Jen Lasher, Scratch-D of Dynamix II, and Dominic B of the Stanton Warriors. With both indoor and outdoor sound systems upgraded by Stanton-Cerwin Vega, partygoers were given plenty of variety. And even though the major talent kept things hot outside, it was smaller names like Supernaut who really dropped the funk in the smaller indoor area.

DJ Craze Bass Sessions

DJ Craze is hands down one of the best deejays on the planet, known for spinning everything from drum 'n' bass to old school. Lately he's been in the mood for Miami bass, and with this event Craze was able to represent it well, with a whole lot of breaks, hip-hop and turntablism thrown in. There were plenty of high points throughout this night of turntable masters. Kanye West's DJ A-trak dropped everything from popular radio cuts to classic hip-hop, and DJ Craze gave his fans a full hour of classic Miami Bass insanity. Z-trip kept the momentum going with an eclectic set that had the packed crowd bouncing.

Om Records Party

For years San Francisco based Om Records has been dropping some of the coolest house, down-tempo and hip-hop, and each year the label graces us with a spectacular showcase of its artists and friends at one of Miami's best venues. This year was no exception -- this was probably the best event of the 2007 conference. It as held at the incredible Y Ultra Lounge, a beautiful venue with five distinct areas. Four of them were indoors in gorgeous modern d�cor with a bumping sound system, and one was a massive outdoor area that served as a tropical oasis; among the palm trees, wood brides, waterfalls and winding rivers was a massive grass dance floor covered by a tent. And with sets by exceptional talent like DJ Heather, Collette, Mark Farina, DJ Sneak and a long list of other top house jocks, the vibe will probably remain the highlight of my entire year.

Stones Throw Hella International Party

Independent hip-hop label Stones Throw held this charming event at the Raleigh Hotel. With its sandy beach vibe and laid-back hip-hop grooves by Peanut Butter Wolf and Madlib, this was the perfect way to usher in the night after a full day of party hopping.

Future Sound of Breaks

This event was heaven for anyone with even a passing interest in breakbeats. With five rooms of sound and more than two thousand beat lovers in attendance, this was a highlight. Major talent like Uberzone, DJ Icey, Krafty Kuts, and Stanton Warriors kept the masses entertained, but it was the electro-bass room that yielded the night's most rewarding musical experience. Performances by Craze, Kuad Soundsystem, Supreme Ja, and Scratch D were so intoxicating that I was unable to move from my spot for hours. These promoters just seem to get better each year, representing this often marginalized style of electronica with high-end respectability.

Ultra Music Festival

The rain put a damper on what was Ultra's biggest year yet. It sprawled out over two consecutive days, with sets on the first day from '80s legends the Cure and on the second day from just about every deejay on the planet. Bicentennial Park is massive, and the rain and mud made it difficult to get around. But the music was constantly a revelation, whether it was the always-impressive Carl Cox or the drum 'n' bass icons Planet of the Drums. Ultra may not have been the talk of the town as in previous years, but it's still one of the iconic experiences of the American dance-music scene.

To view the article online:

http://www.prefixmag.com/features/W/win ... e-2007/557