Getting your levels straight

Discussions about music gear: hardware/software, Tips/Tricks, Questions, How Tos, and advice ...
Mastering/Recording/Mixing...
Scratching
enation.org
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting your levels straight

Post by enation.org »

Not really for PC based production, but hardware gear.

How do you get your levels right?
This way you dont get distortion and have your levels marked appropriately.

Figure... an amp <--> Mixxer <--> Gear (Synth, Sampler, DrumBox)

I would start by normalizing the Mixxer at 0db and tweaking each device until your levels peak at 0?

What are your thoughts?
Wednesdays 7-10PM
http://www.enation.fm
"In Old Skool We Trust"
PatientZero

Post by PatientZero »

I think that would work if you are working with an analog mixer. If you are going for a digital mixer(yuk!), I would go for - 3.0db for insturments -6.0 for drums and sub bass (below 250k). Now if you are doing any kind of percusion heavy music like Drum and Bass/IDM/Breaks/Prog House then do the opposite of what I just talked about. This will give you lots of head room for the main instuments (or percussion) that you will need without that nasty digital distortion. Industrail music I would toss all of the "rules" out the door. anything that can make the shit grity. I hope that this helps. Also if you are using a software only setup then alwaysuse the digital rules.
PatientZero

Post by PatientZero »

O I almost forot that some peeps will say that sub bass is 125k and below.
dollabillgates
newskool
newskool

unity gain

Post by dollabillgates »

well you need to give us more info like ANalog synth into Analog Mixer.....or Digital Synth iunto my DJ mixer etc......there is different headroom for different gear. try xxxxxxmaze on aim I might be able to explain it to you better. I work 10:30-7:30 California time