how much money do I need...

Discussions about music gear: hardware/software, Tips/Tricks, Questions, How Tos, and advice ...
Mastering/Recording/Mixing...
Scratching
JamesDupree
newskool
newskool

how much money do I need...

Post by JamesDupree »

How much cash do I need for a production capable computer with a decent sound card, some software, and a good midi controller????

just ball park please
kryptonite wrote:You never did drugs? How did you get into this stupid music? :lol:
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

COMPUTER - $1700.00
MONITORS - $500.00-1500.00
SOUNDFORGE OR EQUIVALENT - $200.00-500.00
REASON - $300.00
TRACKTION - $150.00
CONTROLLER - $200.00-400.00
------------------------------------------------------------
.................................................$3000.00-4550.00

IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THOUGH... BUT THAT IS A ROUGH ESTIMATE FOR YA...
* R.I.P. Dan "I'm not the man" D'Mantra - not a day goes by that I don't think about you, I miss you man!
JamesDupree
newskool
newskool

Post by JamesDupree »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^for real^^^^^^^^^^

guess I'll be saving for a while (or buying that over and under shotgun I've been eyeing)
kryptonite wrote:You never did drugs? How did you get into this stupid music? :lol:
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

if you buy the parts for your cpu seperately and build it its alot cheaper. your money will go alot further. when i get all the shit for my box ill post it up. everything but the soundcard and monitor im right at 800.00 i already own a delta 66. its nothing great but it still cost me 200.00 back in the day. my 19" monitor cost me 225.after rebate.

so were at 1200.00 + my oxygen 8 100.00

1300.00 total.
hydra

Post by hydra »

ßéñjåmmiñ wrote:COMPUTER - $1700.00
REASON - $300.00
TRACKTION - $150.00

IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THOUGH... BUT THAT IS A ROUGH ESTIMATE FOR YA...
you're on another planet

1500, tops! do your research, use ebay, build it yourself! :)
Spyke
Gemini
Gemini

Post by Spyke »

2000+ for a computer?? Maybe a laptop with production capabilities!

And those estimates are assuming you purchase certain programs... :lol:
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

as far as software goes ben is right. its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to buy software for your new machine. i am buying reason , soundforge, and some burining software that i use alot. its better have a stable enviroment on a brand new machine. i am exactly 180 from that at the momment and ive had some serious heartache do to cracked shit. The box you build should not exceed 1500. that would be big pimpin.
JamesDupree
newskool
newskool

Post by JamesDupree »

^^^^that sounds a lot more reasonable^^^^^^^^^
hydra

Post by hydra »

ßéñjåmmiñ wrote:COMPUTER - $1700.00
REASON - $300.00
TRACKTION - $150.00

thats overkill...

PC: 1200 and you'll have state of the art, beat most PC's around...(www.newegg.com go assemble the top of the line components and build it yourself, it isnt that hard)

Monitors: 500? hah...ebay or do a search, you can get a good set for 200...lookat these:
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waG ... DM-20%2001

they will do the job---ALSO you dont even need monitors off the bat if you're just starting out...just play around and experiment, id say dont even buy monitors until you've figured out how to mix your stuff properly without them, and until you learn the software

you dont really need sound forge, theres tons of free editing software, and honestly you dont need to use this software if you're just starting---id worry about stuff for overall mastering/wave editing later in the game...

OKAY

now dont buy reason

you might as well learn some decent software, pick up a copy of ableton: www.ableton.com

actually, go TRY IT FREE first...yes you can, there is a free version on the internet but it will expire after 6 months anyway, wherein you'll have to buy it anyway, what a great marketing ploy...

Tracktion: dont need it

midi controller: you dont need it

REALLY all you need is a set of speakers that you're familiar with, and a PC...the rest is free if you look hard enough, and you can add the other components later...just start basic, dont complex it...why add more things you dont know to a beginning hobby, figure out everything one thing at a time

otherwise you're going to be out alot of money and have no clue how to use any of your phat new gear...
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!

Post by S. Chadwick »

now dont buy reason
your an idiot. why do you bandwagon so easily. reason is a great bit of software just like abelton. get off your high horse ass bag
sonicj
Groupie
Groupie

Post by sonicj »

<== has dual 21" monitors for sale for $400
M.J.5
Groupie
Groupie

Post by M.J.5 »

Why use the same program? Reason is a great program for dance music production but it does have it's limits. If you can learn how to use something like Reason and incorporate it with Live,Logic or Cubase then you will have different tools to work with. I would definetely get a midi or usb controller, I think I would go crazy if I didn't have one. You can still produce without one but its a lot easier to put a melody together with a keyboard than it is to sit there and put each note in manually.

Mike J
I got an idea, an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.
hydra

Re: !

Post by hydra »

S. Chadwick wrote:
now dont buy reason
your an idiot. why do you bandwagon so easily. reason is a great bit of software just like abelton. get off your high horse ass bag
bandwagon my ass

i started using both at the same time years ago, and slowly and slowly moved to JUST using live---it can do EVERYTHING reason can and better

fine go buy reason...there's a reason live is catching on such fire with the music community :lol:

i just think ableton has a superior product, this is my opinion, it means nothing anyway
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

the guy who just won producer of the year uses acid douchebag. Its not what you have its what you know. They actualy are great together reason is superstable and has alot of features people never use. Abelton has a a wave editing capability that reason doesnt. so both is a better answere than either or.

as for just some set of speakers your used to. you need monitors if you want to step up your production. you hear the blending and seperation of frequencies so much better on flat monitors. you dont have to buy 2000 dollar monitors but it sure wouldnt hurt anything.
sonicj
Groupie
Groupie

Post by sonicj »

sonicj's budget system

computer: $600 and up (dell, gateway, emachines, whatever, build one)
monitors: fostex pm-1 $299
soundcard / midi controller: m-audio ozone $249
software: ableton 5 (use included bundled version till you're ready for more)
mic: studio projects b1 $99