starting from scratch

Discussions about music gear: hardware/software, Tips/Tricks, Questions, How Tos, and advice ...
Mastering/Recording/Mixing...
Scratching
cj3
Groupie
Groupie

starting from scratch

Post by cj3 »

I'm getting back into production and recording after being away for many years. I've got around $7,000 to spend. What I've picked out so far is an M-Audio ozonic, Boss Dr.-880, Sony Acid Pro,Pro Tools le w/ Mbox,a windows pc from Sweetwater and various mics, pre amp, monitors and a packaged PA.Ofcourse there's sample libraries in there too. I'd appreciate any ideas or sugestions.
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

1st off try not to use acid for your main sequencer. when you render from acid it dulls the mix. Try using reason , cubase, abelton. Im speaking from experience and i still use acid but its only to gate vocals or get snippets lined up. kinda likea scratch pad of sorts.

my 5 on it.
cj3
Groupie
Groupie

Post by cj3 »

I think there's a version of reason w/ pro tools.would that be enough or should I got with the full version?
Dangermouse004
newskool
newskool

Post by Dangermouse004 »

cj3 wrote:I think there's a version of reason w/ pro tools.would that be enough or should I got with the full version?
Never heard of it.... You're also using your setup to record bands n'shit??
Re3wind
newskool
newskool

Post by Re3wind »

I think that you need to check out http://www.cyberpowerinc.com I have had three pc's from them and they are some of the best that I have ever worked on.
dandmantra wrote:PS. I think you're both asshats. carry on with your pissing match.
cj3
Groupie
Groupie

Post by cj3 »

I will be using the setup for bands later down the road, after I learn all the equip, software and get a room setup for it.For now it will be used for my own production and recording djs etc.
cj3
Groupie
Groupie

Post by cj3 »

what type of system did you get from cyberpower? I'm thinking that a duel processor unit isn't need right now. I'm looking at around $3,500 for the PC. any suggestions on specs.?
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

3500 seems extreme if your just starting out. my box cost me 1000.00 and its adequate. I just switched to a mac g4 but i got it and the 19 inch flat screen for 1250.00. shop around.
Re3wind
newskool
newskool

Post by Re3wind »

I would that that Chadwick is right. I spent 1500 and I play all of the games I want also.
dandmantra wrote:PS. I think you're both asshats. carry on with your pissing match.
manus
Stanton
Stanton

Post by manus »

cj3 wrote:what type of system did you get from cyberpower? I'm thinking that a duel processor unit isn't need right now. I'm looking at around $3,500 for the PC. any suggestions on specs.?
Dont spend $3500 for you pc. I had my pc built for less than $900 and it works fine.

1.82 ghz processor
Echo Mia sound card
Spyke
Gemini
Gemini

Post by Spyke »

With 2500 you could get an amazing machine built for you. It would handle anything you wanted it to do, even live production.
dandmantra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dandmantra »

You should get a bongo drum and an etchasketch.

Spend the rest on a puerto rican hooker.

That's my advice. :)
Thanks for all the shoes.
Chad Richey
Gemini
Gemini

Post by Chad Richey »

dandmantra wrote:You should get a bongo drum and an etchasketch.

Spend the rest on a puerto rican hooker.

That's my advice. :)

lol.. funny shit right there
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

he's not kidding.
cj3
Groupie
Groupie

Post by cj3 »

here I come P.R!!!