What speakers do you recommend?

Discussions about music gear: hardware/software, Tips/Tricks, Questions, How Tos, and advice ...
Mastering/Recording/Mixing...
Scratching
Capt-Sue
Vestax
Vestax

What speakers do you recommend?

Post by Capt-Sue »

Right now, I am using regular computer speakers - Altec Lansing Series100 I would like to upgrade to something much better than what I have now. Can someone point me in the right direction for better sound?
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Re: What speakers do you recommend?

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

Capt-Sue wrote:Right now, I am using regular computer speakers - Altec Lansing Series100 I would like to upgrade to something much better than what I have now. Can someone point me in the right direction for better sound?
if you want much better either go with

Klipsche THX Certified 2.1 -- my dad has a set and they fuckin' rock...

or the Klipsche 5.1 THX's -- if you have 350+ to throw away...

and ultimately

Mackie HR824's -- only if you have aout 1200+ to drop on it...
* R.I.P. Dan "I'm not the man" D'Mantra - not a day goes by that I don't think about you, I miss you man!
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

p.s you would NOT be dissapointed by the Klipsche 2.1's

I still can't believe how loud and crisp those things are...
* R.I.P. Dan "I'm not the man" D'Mantra - not a day goes by that I don't think about you, I miss you man!
CRAM
newskool
newskool

Post by CRAM »

what kind of $ do you have to spend cause you can pick up some bad ass M-Audio Studiophile BX5's Heres a link to see what I'm talking about
www.m-audio.com This is the same speakers BT uses now in his studio. A pair runs from $200.00 to $800.00. They have them at georges music for sale. I'm picking up a pair in about a month. Good luck
damon noyes
newskool
newskool

Post by damon noyes »

The bx5 series are a good pair.I think the most important thing to consider is that you have to have a pair of monitors that have a flat frequency response-that means that what your hearing is excactly what your making without the sound being artificially colored-this is what stereo,lo-fi and any computer speaker does.Those types of speakers are for listening to music....not making music.Say you make a track with a pair of lo-fi speakers,stereo speakers etc (the ones that sound great when you listen to your fav record or cd and you then listen to your track somewhere else and notice "damn im not hearing that good bassline i made in my track and alot of other things just sound whack"?Its because you made your tune with speakers that made you think your bass was fat and your pads were at a great level-when none of it really even sounded that way-the stereo speakers colored your sound and gave you false hope.....hope this makes sense. -D
CRAM
newskool
newskool

Post by CRAM »

Those are very good studio speakers as the port is in the rear so that all the feq. are all true. So you dont get any false sounds. I have heard some nice studio speakers and for the price of the studiophiles its a good deal. I agree about everything your saying so dont get me wrong. So what speakers are you useing? just woundering
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

CRAM wrote:Those are very good studio speakers as the port is in the rear so that all the feq. are all true. So you dont get any false sounds. I have heard some nice studio speakers and for the price of the studiophiles its a good deal. I agree about everything your saying so dont get me wrong. So what speakers are you useing? just woundering
i've seen 2500/pc speakers with ports in the front... sounds like hogwash to me...

edit: damnit should have worded that differently... haha... oh well...

should have said "that's marketing blahbiddy blah"
Last edited by ßéñjåmmiñ on Apr 13 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damon noyes
newskool
newskool

Post by damon noyes »

CRAM wrote:Those are very good studio speakers as the port is in the rear so that all the feq. are all true. So you dont get any false sounds. I have heard some nice studio speakers and for the price of the studiophiles its a good deal. I agree about everything your saying so dont get me wrong. So what speakers are you useing? just woundering
i was replying to the original poster of the topic about flat freq n all,and only quoting you about the bx5 monitiors being good for the price-either me or you (confused?i monitor through three different-well actually 4 types of monitors m-audio bx5,is why i quoted them,genelec 1031 active loudspeakers and akg k240s studio headphones and last but not least a pair of mono radioshack computer speakers to check if any frequencys are out of phase....something that would sound horrible on a clubs mono system. oh....the ports in the back are a bass reflex system,nothing to do really with the flat frequency response -just design
KruciaL
Junglist
Junglist

Post by KruciaL »

SUE!!! Check out the Award Winning EVENT 20/20 or EVENT TR8s, RECOMMEND 100000000% they are fucking CLEAN. Anyone whos been out to see me lately can / will attest to it, they are absolutely the cleanest monitors you will find for the price! check them out here:

ImageImage

www.event1.com

the 20/20bas are bi-amplified, and cost a lot more than if u get them passive. i got them passive (slightly used and in MINT MINT condition off ebay for $200 for the pair, thas an INSANE deal) and use my own carver high headroom low feedback design amp and they sound BEAUTIFUL. Perfect flat frequency response. Dont bother with M-Audio, most of their stuff is okay at best, and overpriced for what you get, your paying for the "M-Audio" name, plus most are just "near field monitors" and if your spending $$ you might as well go all the way and get Direct Field Studio Monitors.

The Tr8s are more $$ but if u have it, spend it! Oh and dont bother with Mackies, they are too low end heavy, and overpriced for what they are. The high end Yamahas (white looking monitors) are sick, but again, if you have the clout...go with Event. Trust me on this ;) you will not be disappointed.
KruciaL
Junglist
Junglist

Post by KruciaL »

CRAM wrote:what kind of $ do you have to spend cause you can pick up some bad ass M-Audio Studiophile BX5's Heres a link to see what I'm talking about
www.m-audio.com This is the same speakers BT uses now in his studio. A pair runs from $200.00 to $800.00. They have them at georges music for sale. I'm picking up a pair in about a month. Good luck
dont waste ur money on that!! Seriously, they are OKAY not great, and BT DOES NOT USE THEM in his studio (and i dont blame him , they are okay at best, not great, and overpriced, he knows better!). He is paid to ENDORSE them. He's using the Yamaha NS-10M series!!

Look at the specs:

M-Audio BX5 : 75-watt active biamped "near-field" design

oh and i love the little "Add the Studiophile SBX subwoofer for more bass." excerpt. WHY MORE BASS?! SO IT CAN SOUND INACCURATE?!?!

They are Near field meaning "close, but no cigar" dont bother shelling out that much money on a brand name. Choose quality!!
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

Post by S. Chadwick »

I JUST GOT MACKIE HR824'S FOR 500 FOR A PAWN SHOP IN JAX. LOOK AROUND OYU WILL BE SUPRISED WHTA YOU CAN FIND IN JAX PAWN SHOPS GIRL.
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Re: 1111

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

S. Chadwick wrote:I JUST GOT MACKIE HR824'S FOR 500 FOR A PAWN SHOP IN JAX. LOOK AROUND OYU WILL BE SUPRISED WHTA YOU CAN FIND IN JAX PAWN SHOPS GIRL.

fuck me runnin' sideways... that is a fuckin' bad-ass deal... so long as they work and aren't hot... heh heh
Capt-Sue
Vestax
Vestax

Post by Capt-Sue »

Thank you guys! I was planning on buying some Mackies plus smaller speakers for the computer. I am going to look into the Klipsche 2.1 and Event 20/20. I think I can afford one of those sets within the next couple of months before I can afford Mackies. I appreciate everyone's help. You guys ROCK!!!
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

theyre a lil road worn butr sound great.
Capt-Sue
Vestax
Vestax

Re: !!!!

Post by Capt-Sue »

S. Chadwick wrote:theyre a lil road worn butr sound great.
did you get to test them out first before you bought them?