Patterned Production??

Discussions about music gear: hardware/software, Tips/Tricks, Questions, How Tos, and advice ...
Mastering/Recording/Mixing...
Scratching
D Min
Stanton
Stanton

Patterned Production??

Post by D Min »

Ok, so this is a question i came across in my own work lately...

Do you have a pattern that you tend to stick to in producing tracks?? Or do you just lay it all out as it comes??

When i say "pattern" i mean, do you tend to layout the synths, then the hits, then the bass etc.
4james2S.0
Stanton
Stanton

Post by 4james2S.0 »

I do it as it comes. as the flow of ideas come out of my brain...although I'm not a pro by any strech of the imagination...
http://www.demostreams.com/?ID=JamesDupree
Mr.CASH wrote:i<3 me too,we should go bowling:P
ßéñjåmmiñ
Gemini
Gemini

Post by ßéñjåmmiñ »

* R.I.P. Dan "I'm not the man" D'Mantra - not a day goes by that I don't think about you, I miss you man!
Capt-Sue
Vestax
Vestax

Post by Capt-Sue »

4james2S.0 wrote:I do it as it comes. as the flow of ideas come out of my brain...although I'm not a pro by any strech of the imagination...
ditto

sometimes i use the same patterns for certain beats the same way i come up with a bassline or drumsound.

i've also learned that you can combine sound with the same pattern and you can have them tweaked to where it sounds just like one sound when really it is two or three. does anyone else do it like this? i'm still at the beginning stages. i haven't read the whole manual to the programs i am using. if there are similar ways to this let me know. i am sure others would like to know too :)
KruciaL
Junglist
Junglist

Post by KruciaL »

yea i always start out by making the drums i want to use in groove agent, mixing them down, cleaning them up, arranging them and plugging them into cubase for the backbone of the tune. Then comes bass hits, creating, tweaking, arranging. Then comes synths, on the fly usually. I have cubase play my drums / bass and i just fuck with the synths on the fly with my midi controller, however i am feeling the tune. .. usually this works really well. . .ill record it a couple times, and if im feeling it, i will arrange it piece by piece to perfection. Then comes little sound effect fills, and edits of the drumwork, adding flange, reversing drums, putting drums thru amen1b amen chopping program to cut them up and randomize. . .and somewhere along there, a killer tune is created. .. not really much of a 'set formula' anyone should or has to follow. . . its jus usually a routine ive found myself using time and time again . .. hope this helps. . .. . =)

:twisted:
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

if your looking to start to pump out trax for what ever reason you have to get a "formula". If your unorganised that takes alot of your creative time and shifts it to bs work IMO.
Capt-Sue
Vestax
Vestax

Re: !!!!!

Post by Capt-Sue »

S. Chadwick wrote:if your looking to start to pump out trax for what ever reason you have to get a "formula". If your unorganised that takes alot of your creative time and shifts it to bs work IMO.
How would you know if you have a formula? Do you use the same formula for every song you make? Are there many formulas you can use in a song? Can you explain?
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

i would say the arraingment is where you would see your formula. when you get an arraigment that works (IMO) there is nothing wrong with using that arraingement again slightly altering it here and there. Then it frees up your creative time on other things. Obviously you would want to change it up or keep in the back of your mind new twists but starting out keepn it simple and stream lined is the best way for me to get shit done. No one likes cookie cutter trax but if you have a hot arraigment and moves a dance floor why not dip back into it. I would :wink: