compression

Discussions about music gear: hardware/software, Tips/Tricks, Questions, How Tos, and advice ...
Mastering/Recording/Mixing...
Scratching
enation.org
Site Admin
Site Admin

compression

Post by enation.org »

Do you compress your sounds?

How much do you compress?

I used to compress 2:1 to 3:1 and yeah, what a difference that makes. LOUD SOUND. Lately I just EQ my levels as best as I can during and after production and then compress just a little to give it a fuller sound.

I bring this up because of all these articles I've been reading about more and more compression used now. The latest from:
[WIRED] http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/play.html?pg=2

I think it would be nice if everyone can quit compressing so damn much because of what it does to the sound. Yeah, it makes the dynamics fuller... but it also kills your sound.

I think people over compress to compensate for what their song lacks. A little compression is good and can go a long way... but when your song looks like -|||||||||||||||||||- instead of -^^^^^^^^^- its just messy.
Wednesdays 7-10PM
http://www.enation.fm
"In Old Skool We Trust"
PatientZero

Post by PatientZero »

The only thing I ever compress is the drums and I do that for the industrial squished sound. For the squished sound. I do 16:1 with a short attack and a longer release. As for sompressing the mixdown. I NEVER do that. It makes it way harder on the mastering peeps, and it also tends to mud up the final product. I think that is the best thing I have heard on Wired in a long time.
d-_-b
newskool
newskool

Post by d-_-b »

that's one thing i've always been weary about... i think it is best to eq stuff and only compress certain elements UNLESS you are going for a specific overall sound... in that case reason's scream distortion box is the king of clean to down and dirty compression...
booooo yaaaaa!
Release Version 2.0
newskool
newskool

Post by Release Version 2.0 »

ask DollaBillGates....he should know.
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where the gun begins.-- Ayn Rand
d-_-b
newskool
newskool

Post by d-_-b »

Release Version 2.0 wrote:ask DollaBillGates....he should know.

::in a very rough trucker voice::C'MON!!::/very rough trucker voice::
booooo yaaaaa!
dollabillgates
newskool
newskool

Post by dollabillgates »

You know Crystal method made their last album in Reason and you guys use reason so your mixing/mastering ability must be greater then mine. ESPECIALLY d_b the gay vulture of enation....he does not Compress anything he uses the EQ in his pants. (His nipples turn to adjust the threshhold)

FILL IN THE BLANKS

When you run a compression ratio greater then 10:1 you are no longer compressing you are _________?

Release didn't comment on this because he doesent know what a Compressor does =\
opensource
newskool
newskool

Post by opensource »

god your a moron

beep beep <-see releases' sig pic.
Kill
manus
Stanton
Stanton

Post by manus »

Does anyone know or can anyone explain with examples of how to use compression?

I know how to use it, but would like examples such as for bass you should have these settings.... for drums..... blah blah blah. I think you know what I mean.

Thanks!
PatientZero

Post by PatientZero »

I sent you an email with some info. I could not post the pic here.
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!!!!!!!1

Post by S. Chadwick »

compression for dummies (myself included). i use compression in every track ive ever made. its like this and thats it. start at 1:1 and start increasing untill it sounds like you want it to sound. there is no magic number people. your the engineer so you say when enough is enough. halfo of production to me is understanding what YOU like thats it. trust your ears and your vision. if you use reason hit me up pm ill send u the setting i use for basslines (which is only a starting point) that FIXX gave me.

sc
manus
Stanton
Stanton

Post by manus »

thanks guys!
S. Chadwick
Florida Gator

!!!!!!!!!

Post by S. Chadwick »

When you run a compression ratio greater then 10:1 you are no longer compressing you are _________?
i dont know the answer either but i wasnt told there would be a pop quiz and didnt study....