Dub Step

Discussions relating to North and Central Florida.
(ie. Gainesville, Tallahassee, and surrounding areas)

Moderator: josh wickham

Moss
Una Bomber

Post by Moss »

fishinfishnchips wrote:Coming from the guys that have jumped on the same bandwagon train since the ninties!!!! Speed Garage, Two Step, Drum & Bass, Dub Step

I could have predicted who was going to become a dub-step DJ even before anyone heard on it.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I predict the next electronic music flash in the pan will be called (insert your own prediction here) Electro-break-step-tech

and all the drum-n-bass-speed-garage-two-step-dub-step guys will be playing it!!!!!

P.S. I have been playing monthly at this bar,, doing an old school hip hop, funk, and fun,,,, and it is pretty much a gimme that some high school kid with a fake ID will ask me if I have any dub-step.....

I am proud that at least they are listening to something other than gangster rap,,,, but the stuff sounds Bumble Bee being gang raped by Optimus Prime and Sideswipe.
I can guarantee you there are only a couple of guys who really can relate to it and the rest are people who have always had the music they like spoon fed to them from a wet nurse.
As far as bandwagon shit, aint one person in this world who doesnt jump bandwagons or whatever, you do it everytime you buy a new tune thats hot. If it wasnt hot you wouldnt jump on it!!
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

lol...moss i dont even know how you would call me a hater on underground music. i will headbang to every track you & mo drop & always have. you skipped over my post saying that Mo & Moss are two exceptions to my statements on Gainesville. im guessing most of the town are haters & those are obviously the ones i was speaking on.

i said the people who play skrillex & bassnectar. do you guys pull those out every set like others do? no. i can answer that.

the ones who think it isnt Dubstep if it doesnt sound just like Datsik. you & i both know better so no worries.

i said the ones who just heard of dubstep in the past two years? were you playing it before then? yes. me too. cool. same page lol.

...then im prolly not hatin on you since i said i DO ENJOY YOUR SOUNDS lol...fo reals man no need to pull out the hater card :lol:
Moss
Una Bomber

Post by Moss »

Sorry bro, just tired of this mindless banter. And for those of you who dont like dubstep then fuckin go home and cry about it to your mommy! Nobody wants to hear how much you hate something. If anything its about pushing electronic music not shitting on it! Not to mention its always a house or trance cat on here bitching. Why you think that is? Cause you dont get no play! thats why. So leave us grime lovers alone and go pump your fist somewhere else, while we continue to rock the house and create new bassheads!!!! 8O
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

Moss wrote:go pump your fist somewhere else, while we continue to rock the house and create new bassheads!!!! 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
tech44
newskool
newskool

Post by tech44 »

There's a long lineage of tollin' and hatin' here on enation. How can we expected you young whippersnappers to carry on the torch unless we show you the 'old ways' first hand?

We might not be here to face future micro-genre threats like DarkBieberStep, and DiscoGagaBass. What then? Your "open-minded" acceptance will destroy everything we've worked so hard for.
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

Post by fishinfishnchips »

Moss wrote:Sorry bro, just tired of this mindless banter. And for those of you who dont like dubstep then fuckin go home and cry about it to your mommy! Nobody wants to hear how much you hate something. If anything its about pushing electronic music not shitting on it! Not to mention its always a house or trance cat on here bitching. Why you think that is? Cause you dont get no play! thats why. So leave us grime lovers alone and go pump your fist somewhere else, while we continue to rock the house and create new bassheads!!!! 8O
You think that I don't like Dubstep because I play house as one of my genres? I don't like dubstep because it it mindless soulless dribble... But I am glad you finally found your nitch that would bring you popularity so that you can continue to "Rock the house"

I am much more dissatisfied with the house/trance (whatever catagory you want to lump it in)(4x4) than I am at dubstep.The amount of crap that is coming out is way beyond belief and sorting through it is more of a pain in the ass than some teenager coming up to me and asking if I have any dubstep. I know dubstep will be out there and popular for a minute or two and thats it,,,, it doesnt have anything special about it to make it as a long haul genre.That just is what it is. Its boring after a couple of songs and not just to me because I play house,,, TO EVERYONE BECAUSE ITS JUST BORING!!!! Boring is boring. You can pat yourself on the back for playing it but you are in denial.

BTW,,, I'm not hatting. I am just giving my honest opinion. Nothing worse that a bunch of DJ sitting around telling each other how great they are.

Thanks for the conversation anyway, this boars needs a good enema.
Boyd Westerman wrote: I'm only 34 dude!!!
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

edit: ok if you are bashing the genre just to get a discussion as you just said, im not buying it. deleted my post that was here so as not to perpetuate. ya know, other boards(including the jax forum!) would put people like you in your place but apparently here you are welcome home. well enjoy your empty board & enjoy bashing people who are actually playing & enjoying music for crowds(which you dont know about cus you dont go out)...and more importantly for themselves. you listen to your music, i'll listen to mine. know what? I ENJOY IT ALL so while i discover a new artist literally every day, a new style every week & new genres all the damn time...you stick with whatever it is you feel safe with, and your board that only tells you what wickham & fogg are doing(not hatin, just not very informative on the whole)...and we can all just move on...peace...
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

Adikt wrote:edit: ok if you are bashing the genre just to get a discussion as you just said, im not buying it. deleted my post that was here so as not to perpetuate. ya know, other boards(including the jax forum!) would put people like you in your place but apparently here you are welcome home. well enjoy your empty board & enjoy bashing people who are actually playing & enjoying music for crowds(which you dont know about cus you dont go out)...and more importantly for themselves. you listen to your music, i'll listen to mine. know what? I ENJOY IT ALL so while i discover a new artist literally every day, a new style every week & new genres all the damn time...you stick with whatever it is you feel safe with, and your board that only tells you what wickham & fogg are doing(not hatin, just not very informative on the whole)...and we can all just move on...peace...
NOW ADIKT....You know I cant stand dubstep and I also know that you can understand why.. You also know I enjoy ruffling feathers. Sometimes you have to stir the pot to be able to smell the stew. ... If someone deleted your post ,,, that is some week ass shit,, because you are one of the only motherflippers on this board who make any sense or can argue a point!!!!!

Plus it something that just had to be said...

And if they were deleting a post you directed to me.. pm me. I will give you my email. I enjoy are talks.
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

You guys are as sensitive about your Dubstep as you were about your 2step, speed garage, and jungle. :lol:
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

lol nah i deleted my own post cus i just said the same thing ive said over & over...

...like how dubstep tracks are at the top of BBC & iTunes Europe charts, how the top dj in miami is a dubstep dj, how the top club nights in miami, london & LA are all dubstep(ish) nights, how 900+ people sold out bassnectar here in town...

how that doesnt sound like anyone is bored by it but house, etc heads...and in other cities even THEY are open minded enough to actually try to find a part of it they like rather than just bash anyone who plays it...like those on this board...im sorry but to me thats not discussion or debate or anything positive at all. its hatin' & it causes people to come here once & never again.

thank you for realizing im not just defending the genre cus i play it(cus i do, but i play EVERYTHING else i can find. dont beleive me tune into my Grow show. i'll bet you hear genres you never knew about and 90% of the time zero dubstep) but im really over people thinking that bashing another dj or style of music is leading anywhere. its like you enjoyed the past 10 years with not shit to do in this town & now that something is actually happening you cant stand it. i dunno. IM OVER IT. good to hear you have a point & are not just being a douche, but really...listen if you want to, dont if you dont but bashing everything new that comes along is simply counterproductive. peace.
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

I live in Seattle now.I just work behind a CPU all day and love to see how sensitive people are about dubstep,,,, they are sensitive about it here too,,. And its even worse here (depending on what side of the fence you are on) ... Difference here is that there are so many more venues, crews, all that shit. They are still throwing raves out here!!!!! And they don't bring in the helicopters to shut em down.

I tried to get it but I don't....I still feel that there are only a few guys that do actually get it and a shit load of other guys just out there tagging along.
Like that with anything I guess.
I just like to point it out. :wink:
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

fish...check these...

Joy Orbinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p5nBx_xRZY

Scuba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWIzV51Z1E

James Blake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQoQirZwxE4

ive had local arguments about whether or not these are dubstep but regardless, they are clearly not what is elsewhere called "Brostep", which is im guessing what you are calling Dubstep. the above are not Dubstep in its orginal form, like Mala & DMZ...but more on the UKFunky tip that is really much bigger worldwide right now than hardcore wobble. It gets all confusing eventually...like saying i dont like House. well i like SOME House, but to be honest i dont know what technical term the styles i like would be given lol...and calling it House is simple on a mainstream level but doesnt really describe all the very good subgenres...blahblahblah...lol...
tech44
newskool
newskool

Re:

Post by tech44 »

Adikt wrote:fish...check these...

Joy Orbinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p5nBx_xRZY

Scuba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWIzV51Z1E

James Blake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQoQirZwxE4

ive had local arguments about whether or not these are dubstep but regardless, they are clearly not what is elsewhere called "Brostep", which is im guessing what you are calling Dubstep. the above are not Dubstep in its orginal form, like Mala & DMZ...but more on the UKFunky tip that is really much bigger worldwide right now than hardcore wobble. It gets all confusing eventually...like saying i dont like House. well i like SOME House, but to be honest i dont know what technical term the styles i like would be given lol...and calling it House is simple on a mainstream level but doesnt really describe all the very good subgenres...blahblahblah...lol...
I think this is all quality music, but I think you're only reinforcing the dubstep "flash in the pan" concept by pointing this out.

These are great tunes, but these seem like other genres with a dubstep beat behind them. You see this type of thing when I genre is super hot and artist wants to get in on the new thing (either for profit or because they genuinely dig it). This isn't good or bad, it's just the way the cycle goes. Genres get popular, overhyped, and then imploded on themselves only to get reborn later in another form. We've seen it with Disco, Prog, Trance, 2-Step, Techhouse, Minimal, etc, etc, etc. We've seen it with stuff we like, and stuff we don't. Fish is just pointing out the inevitable...Dubstep is super hot right now, but it will crumble under its own weight. Those who really love it will keep playing it and listening to it after the wave passes, those who like the 'next big thing' will move to whatever is hot.

In five years, if anyone is playing Dubstep and someone comes up and asks for [insert hot genre], then they'll know how Fish feels today.
Adikt
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Adikt »

my first post in the thread talks about how Dubstep is indeed Pop Music right now. 900 tickets sold for Bassnectar & over half of them went to Frat Boys. otherwise called "Bros"...and if you see my last post you'll see me refer to the new sound of Dubstep as "BroStep"...thats what it is being called on an international level now due to pretty much what you said. but kind of the opposite. heres what i mean:

when a genre starts to adapt elements of all the other genres, then it goes thru a sort of collapse, then refinds itself with a variety of different sounds...that is what really makes a genre in my opinion. every major genre that is definitely NOT a flash in the pan(rock, hiphop, jazz, etc) has gone thru those steps over & over again. the best of which blur the lines & become so broad they spawn other whole genres(jazz>rock>hiphop, loosely of course)

That is exactly what Dubstep is doing now. it came from the 2Step/Garage era in London which came from Speed Garage/Jungle which came from etc etc etc(all of which are still around & quite large mind you)....but instead of sounding the same forever & dying out(like smaller pop genres) it now has many smaller genres with large numberss of followers as well, some of them are Pop & some are really incredible. doesnt matter if its hard or soft music.

Dubstep subgenres might include:

Dubstep (mala, loefah, kromestar, coki)
UKFunky (joy orbinson, ramadanman, martyn)
Brostep/Hard (datsik, borgore, skrillex, excision)
Wonky/Purple (flying lotus, slugabed, nastynasty, joker)
Drumstep (bilsiac, amit, Moss could prolly fill this in better)
Grime (was around before Dubstep but its running together now)

***just trying to be informative rather than bashing or being a fanboy of one thing or another. half of the artists above i cant stand & half i love lol
tech44
newskool
newskool

Post by tech44 »

Adikt wrote:my first post in the thread talks about how Dubstep is indeed Pop Music right now. 900 tickets sold for Bassnectar & over half of them went to Frat Boys. otherwise called "Bros"...and if you see my last post you'll see me refer to the new sound of Dubstep as "BroStep"...thats what it is being called on an international level now due to pretty much what you said. but kind of the opposite. heres what i mean:

when a genre starts to adapt elements of all the other genres, then it goes thru a sort of collapse, then refinds itself with a variety of different sounds...that is what really makes a genre in my opinion. every major genre that is definitely NOT a flash in the pan(rock, hiphop, jazz, etc) has gone thru those steps over & over again. the best of which blur the lines & become so broad they spawn other whole genres(jazz>rock>hiphop, loosely of course)

That is exactly what Dubstep is doing now. it came from the 2Step/Garage era in London which came from Speed Garage/Jungle which came from etc etc etc(all of which are still around & quite large mind you)....but instead of sounding the same forever & dying out(like smaller pop genres) it now has many smaller genres with large numberss of followers as well, some of them are Pop & some are really incredible. doesnt matter if its hard or soft music.

Dubstep subgenres might include:

Dubstep (mala, loefah, kromestar, coki)
UKFunky (joy orbinson, ramadanman, martyn)
Brostep/Hard (datsik, borgore, skrillex, excision)
Wonky/Purple (flying lotus, slugabed, nastynasty, joker)
Drumstep (bilsiac, amit, Moss could prolly fill this in better)
Grime (was around before Dubstep but its running together now)

***just trying to be informative rather than bashing or being a fanboy of one thing or another. half of the artists above i cant stand & half i love lol
Right, agreed 100%....

and generally there's a first wave, with subsequent lesser waves splintering off in various forms like you've listed, retaining some of the original, renamed into a sub-genre.

You're right, the category as a whole isn't a flash in the pan, but the root genre, the source, the initial wave is...and in all likelihood won't ever regain the hype it once had. A new sub-genre may, and it starts all over.

So to be more precise, Dubstep as an initial wave is a flash in the pan. If you're playing today's Dubstep sound in five years, and not it's new hyped up variant sub-genre, you will be passe.

Just like you said, Dubstep is a variant of 2Step/Garage, but if you play the original 2Step/Garage today, you're not playing the "in" sound...because that sound was a flash in the pan.