What do you think about "tag team" or shared DJ s

Discussions relating to North and Central Florida.
(ie. Gainesville, Tallahassee, and surrounding areas)

Moderator: josh wickham

josh wickham
Florida Gator

What do you think about "tag team" or shared DJ s

Post by josh wickham »

I was wanting your general opinions on DJs doing shared or 'tag team' sets.

I'm asking more about when two DJs show up to a gig. There is an opening DJ and a headling DJ. Both DJs decide to tag team (maybe go 2 for 2).

I'm not asking from a promotional point of view, just what do you think about them?
FishnChips
newskool
newskool

Post by FishnChips »

I only really like tag team sets when someone jumps off the top rope.

Now that is entertainment.
fishinfishnchips wrote: Boom Gak Boom Boom Gakker
Boom Gak Boom Boom Gakker
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

Post by fishinfishnchips »

The only thing that would make a tag set good is if you had a BIG BELL,,, that you would ring for the switch.

Other than that they are usaully the worst sets ever. Unless it is 2 people who play together always and have the exact same musical taste.
Boyd Westerman wrote: I'm only 34 dude!!!
josh wickham
Florida Gator

Post by josh wickham »

fishinfishnchips wrote:The only thing that would make a tag set good is if you had a BIG BELL,,, that you would ring for the switch.

Other than that they are usaully the worst sets ever. Unless it is 2 people who play together always and have the exact same musical taste.
"play together always"?

Maybe 'frequently''? Anybody ALWAYS playing together seems kinda creepy...
8 Ohm
Gemini
Gemini

Post by 8 Ohm »

I agree with you both..

If there is a huge difference stylewise in the dj's tagging it's obviously not going to work out (Most times).. Really so long as both dj's are on the same level musicwise it typically works out good in my experience..

Honestly it's more fun & works out best if you do 3-3 or 4-4 or just play a small chunk of time each (No record limit) say 20 minutes ish.. Thay way you can see where the other guy is going with things & make a dope transition over..

I used to do this with the original 8 Ohm crew every Friday or Saturday night at mi casa for years..
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

8 Ohm wrote:I agree with you both..

Honestly it's more fun & works out best if you do 3-3 or 4-4 or just play a small chunk of time each (No record limit) say 20 minutes ish.. Thay way you can see where the other guy is going with things & make a dope transition over..

That also depends...

I have seen guys that go 1-1 that were great!!!!(very rare) But they were pretty much playing out of the same bag (so to speak)

3-3 4-4 You have to make sure who you are playing with is not going to change direction on his last song. You think you know where he is going and you start picking out stuf to play, then on his last mix he completely does the drop on you.

3-3 is probably the best if you want to keep heading in the right direction.

Its really much better to not do it at all. When I hear someone play I want to hear where they go (or dont go) Movement is key.

Most people are all over the place anyway. In this case it would'nt matter.
8 Ohm
Gemini
Gemini

Post by 8 Ohm »

When Gene & I used to do our Ohms & Affect sets we didn't really adhere to any kind of count or time limit.. We'd just butt each other off the decks when we heard something come on we wanted to come out of.. Sometimes it might only be 2 tracks other times one of us might go for 30 minutes or longer..
cramela
Gemini
Gemini

Post by cramela »

The key to me is whether it is two girls or two guys in on the tag team session.
fishinfishnchips
Stanton
Stanton

cramela wrote:The key to me is whether it is two girls or two guys in on the tag team session.
With you being on the bottom of the pile? :P
Moss
Una Bomber

Re: What do you think about "tag team" or shared

Post by Moss »

josh wickham wrote:I was wanting your general opinions on DJs doing shared or 'tag team' sets.

I'm asking more about when two DJs show up to a gig. There is an opening DJ and a headling DJ. Both DJs decide to tag team (maybe go 2 for 2).

I'm not asking from a promotional point of view, just what do you think about them?
How many times has that happenned over the years? You and I have even had to do that a time or two, as long as both djs respect each others style and selections, it should be just fine!
josh wickham
Florida Gator

Post by josh wickham »

I like them.

Who here wouldn't get a kick out of watching Three and Sasha play @ LOVE in NYC, trading on and off playing a 8-10 hour set. It hard to do something (5-6 hour set) like that.

I don't know about you guys but sometimes I have to use the restroom, and after about 2-3 hours, its time to do just that...

After watching DJ Diamond do his thing years ago I've thought of making a "DJ chair"...my back Fing kills me after a good 4 hour set!
8 Ohm
Gemini
Gemini

Post by 8 Ohm »

I saw Sasha & Three do that at Hyde Park a couple years ago.. was dope...
Double Y Chrome
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Double Y Chrome »

It is becoming more difficult with everyone using different equipment.
AXiS
newskool
newskool

Post by AXiS »

Me and Mo used to tag team frequently, usually go 2 for 2 unless we had a certain few records we wanted to mix in a row. I always planned my sets out on the fly so it made it interesting figuring out what would sound good mixed into his records and vice versa.